HELLO BEAUTIFUL SKIN!
MICRONEEDLING TREATMENT IN BOWIE
WHAT IS MICRONEEDLING?
Microneedling, also called collagen induction therapy, is a minimally invasive way to:
- boost natural collagen
- firm your skin
- even out your skin tone
- reduce fine lines and wrinkles
- decrease pore size
- treat acne scars
- hyperpigmentation/sun spots
- stretch marks
- help with hair loss.
Microneedling uses a pen-like device to create tiny wounds penetrating the top-most layer of the skin to reach the deeper layers of the epidermis and dermis. Creating tiny controlled injuries promotes collagen formation allowing the skin to remain tighter and thicker as we age.
IS MICRONEEDLING SAFE FOR ALL SKIN TONES?
Microneedling is safe for all skin tones, including melanin-rich skin. Darker skin can be damaged more easily by trauma. However, with microneedling, only the superficial layer of your skin is pierced. The microscopic punctures do not cut deep enough into the skin or create scarring. Microneedling is a safe and effective way to achieve a glowing complexion in the lightest to darkest skin shades.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE REQUIRED?
The number of microneedling treatments recommended depends on the area targeted and the complexity of the skin concern treated. Initially, a series of three to four monthly treatments are suggested followed by regular maintenance.
HOW DO I CARE FOR MY SKIN AFTER MICRONEEDLING?
After microneedling, you may experience swelling and redness. To minimize the side effects, use only gentle cleansers and moisturizers with minimal ingredients, hyaluronic acids and collagen. Avoid using products that contain ingredients such as AHA/BHA, retinol, Vitamin C products, salicylic acids, enzymes or other peels. Avoid makeup and activities that cause sweating, such as, hot showers, saunas, hot-tubs and exercise for 48 hours. Wait at least 10 days to reintroduce retinoids into your regimen. Wear a mineral sunscreen with at least a 30 SPF daily. Refrain from swimming for 3 days. Chemicals can irritate the skin and salt can over dry it.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AFTER MICRONEEDLING?
You will notice that your skin absorbs skin care products more readily, making them more effective. You will also notice a more youthful glow.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Although microneedling is safe, there are risks such as:
- An allergic reaction to the products used during treatment. Please give notice of all known allergies, skin conditions or history of keloid prior to treatment.
- Redness, bruising, bleeding or peeling may occur due to the micro-trauma to the skin which is a desired effect of microneedling. The skin will begin to heal within 24 - 48 hours.
- Infection is rare. However, if the skin is not properly cleansed prior to treatment or the post-treatment instructions are not followed it is possible.
- Some find microneedling slightly painful. Please advise if you are unable to tolerate the procedure. You may experience some discomfort or sensitivity after treatment. This usually resolves in 24 hours.